Now that school is back in session, you are sharing the road with more drivers, school buses, and children riding bikes or walking to school. With this in mind, it’s a good time for some back to school driving tips.
- Never pass a bus that is stopped to load or unload children. This is illegal in all 50 states. Remember, a child’s life is more important than a few minutes of your time.
- Always allow a greater following distance for a school bus than you would for a regular vehicle.
- Do not block crosswalks while stopped. This forces children to go around you and could put them in potential danger.
- Always stop for a school crossing guard—do not go around their stop sign or flag.
- Do not honk your horn or rev your engine to scare pedestrians.
- Drive with extra caution through school zones.
If you are driving your kids to and from school, here are a few rules to remember.
- Do not double park. This could block visibility for children.
- Always load and unload children on the same side of the street as the school.
- Carpool, if possible, to reduce the number of cars at the school.
We hope you and your children have a safe and fun school year!